RIOCM (the Regroupement intersectoriel des organismes communautaires de Montréal – Intersectoral Coalition of Montreal Community Organizations) aims to defend and promote the common interests of its members, especially at the regional level, in the field of health and social services and their related determinants.
Statement of Principles and Fundamental Values
- Defence of the respect of autonomous community action;
- Defence and promotion of groups’ capacity to act as sites where their members can exercise their citizenship (RIOCM gives tools and support to organizations and coalitions that work directly with members of the community to defend the common good. RIOCM does not defend individual people’s rights, but neither does it act solely in the interests of its member organizations);
- Sharing of information and accessible analysis. Creation of spaces for exchange, cooperation, awareness-building, mobilisation and debate;
- Framing of issues by its members from the perspective of popular education and mobilisation;
- Respect of democratic processes;
- Accountability of the different components of RIOCM (staff team, board of directors, work committees…) to the membership in terms of sharing information, transparency and organizational participation.
- Accountability of RIOCM’s membership towards the organization’s different components (staff team, board of directors, work committees…) in terms of sharing information, coherence and organizational participation;
- Openness to minority issues and concerns with which the majority can show solidarity (using a common and inclusive definition of “common interests”);
- Consideration of and respect for the reality of the range of organisations working in health and social services and of their coalitions when RIOCM deals with government or other organizations;
- Cooperation between different sectoral coalitions;
- Consideration of and respect for the different realities lived by women in RIOCM’s actions, orientations and structures. A training on gender analysis will be offered annually to members of RIOCM’s board and staff;
- Defence of a health and social service system that respects the principles of public management, universality, accessibility, comprehensiveness, transferability and free services.
Conception: Coopérative Molotov